Charitable Organization Funds
The JCFC is proud to work in partnerships with community agencies, congregations, and charitable organizations to build their financial strength. By working with JCFC to invest, manage and build funds, these organizations are investing in their future, growing assets and building a solid financial base.
The JCFC hosts both custodial and permanent endowment funds and is also available to assist charitable organizations in fund development.
JCFC is a community foundation committed to providing personalized service to every fund holder. Helping our institutions remain financially strong ensures that their programs and services are available for future generations.
Why establish an custodial fund at JCFC?
Funds managed by the Foundation are invested to: 1) ensure safety of capital over the long-term, 2) earn sufficient investment returns to meet disbursement requirements and 3) preserve the purchasing power of the Foundation’s endowments over the long-term. Funds are pooled and professionally managed according to the JCFC Investment Policy Statement under the oversight of our board and our investment committee, comprised of volunteers with expertise in investments, finance, law, and real estate. The current managers of the JCFC funds are Gluskin Sheff and Associates and Mawer Investment Management Ltd, two of Canada’s premier investment managers.
Investing your funds with JCFC gives your organization access to an expertly managed portfolio designed to consistently deliver solid returns. Pooling of funds gives the capacity to diversify investments and reduce management fees, increasing returns and reducing risk.
Ease of administration and relatively low fees. There are cost savings in having your organization’s funds managed by the JCFC, both in administrative time and in management fees. Quarterly fund statements, record keeping, cheque-writing, and regular communication are included in the annual administrative fee. Fees vary according to the nature and size of the fund, please contact the JCFC office for detailed information.
Ability to accept all kinds of gifts. The JCFC has the capacity to handle gifts of cash, stocks, bonds, insurance, thinly traded shares, real estate, art, antiques and other non-standard gifts. See our Gift Acceptance Policy for additional information.
Resources: Placing your custodial or permanent endowment fund with the JCFC gives your organization access to a local community foundation with resources, experience and an excellent reputation for donor stewardship, grant-making and community leadership. As well as helping agencies manage funds, JCFC can assist in fund development, helping agencies target specific audiences whom they want to reach, train their leadership in gift planning, and provide materials and information that can be used to reach donors and potential donors. The Foundation is also available to help agencies develop and deliver educational presentations to constituents, as well as assisting in one-on-one solicitations.
Is a Custodial Fund at JCFC right for your organization?
A Custodial Fund allows an agency to pool a portion or all of its assets with the JCFC’s investment pool. The charitable organization entrusts the JCFC with the long-term management of its funds while retaining ownership of the monies. Unlike an endowment fund, a Custodial Fund is owned by the organization and can be withdrawn at any time (subject to notice periods). The purpose of establishing a custodial fund is to benefit from the JCFC’s investment expertise and management capacity. This type of fund is designed to meet organizations’ needs for the investment management of reserve funds and self-administered endowment funds.
- Size and/or resources can constrain investment opportunities. Participation in the pooled fund is an opportunity to pursue improved investment opportunities and to minimize costs.
- Organizations retain full ownership of invested assets.
- All fund holders and organizations investing in our pooled funds earn identical total time-weighted returns.
- Fund management fees are paid directly by the pool and thus shared in accordance with the JCFC’s Administration Fee Policy.
- Liquidity considerations: the total investment pool is valued on a quarterly basis. There is no extra charge for cheque writing, and funds held at the JCFC can be withdrawn without penalty or extra charge (subject to notice periods). As a general rule withdrawals of $10,000 or less from the managed fund shall be permitted not more than once every three months upon thirty days written notice. Withdrawals of more than $10,000 are subject to sixty days written notice. Withdrawals of more than $100,000 are subject to ninety days written notice. These restrictions may be waived under exceptional circumstances, which shall be subject to approval by the Treasurer of JCFC. Approval shall not be unreasonably withheld, but if extra charges are incurred as a result of early withdrawals, they will be passed on to the organization.
The JCFC is committed to providing personalized service to charitable organizations and partnering with them to build their financial strength and support their long-term capacity for the benefit of the programs and people they serve. Organizations with custodial funds at the JCFC include:
Steven Blitz Charitable Trust
For further information on organizational funds, please contact the JCFC office 403.640.2273